Being a Last Minute Shopper

5:50 AM



We've come to the end of my gift giving series and I'm sure there are a few of you out there that still haven't even begun your holiday shopping. I started mine at the beginning of the week and I'm almost finished, but there have been years where I didn't even start my shopping until Christmas Eve. In fact, I don't think that I have ever started my holiday shopping earlier than the middle of December. What does that say about me? I think it mostly just says that I'm forgetful and lazy and, trust me, that is the case for more months out of the year than just December.

But what about other last minute shoppers? What are their excuses?

You just don't know what to get. Honestly, this is part of the reason why I don't start my shopping until Christmas is almost here. It's intimidating, man. Many of us already have more than we need, so how do we decide what to get each other? Sometimes you intend to start shopping earlier in the year only to um and aw over which gift to actually purchase. Eventually you just close your eyes and point. But, really, your wife will love the package of socks. Really.

You don't care what you get. Sometimes the only people you have to buy for are the people you have to buy for. Family and coworkers might fall into this bunch and, as much as you may love some of them, maybe you don't spend a lot of money on them love them. So you don't even think about it until-- holy shit-- the office party is tomorrow and you've got nothing. Time to run to Walmart.

You're waiting for a better sale. I've fallen into this trap a few times. You find the perfect gift for someone, but it's way too expensive. Or, at least, more expensive than you want it to be. So you wait and hope that it will go on sale soon. Or a better sale. And maybe it does go on sale, but that sale isn't good enough either. Then it's Christmas Eve and decide to go ahead and buy the damn gift-- at full price, almost double what it was on sale for last week.

You're really just forgetful and lazy. I do try to start planning my holiday shopping early... I make lists and everything. And then I tell myself that I will start the actual shopping part tomorrow. But then tomorrow comes and I get busy with work or life and then I just want to sleep and I'll buy the gifts tomorrow, I promise. Rinse and repeat.

What can last minute shoppers do? Embrace it. Wait until Christmas Eve and savor the rush of adrenaline that comes with finally finding that perfect gift five minutes before midnight. Buy that stuffed animal at the only gas station open on Christmas morning. Scour Pinterest for handmade presents you can make in five minutes. Or start shopping earlier. Whatever.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM