What I'm Reading This Summer

10:10 AM


One of my favorite things about summer is sitting out on my front porch with a cup of coffee beside me (or glass of unsweet tea, depending on the temperature!) and a good book in my hands. Of course, I still don't have time to read all of the books I'm interested in-- or the money-- but I've been lucky enough to read some really wonderful novels this summer. And I still have a couple I need to read. Thank goodness there is still some summer left!

1. Sharp Objects (Read) : I read Gilian Flynn's third novel, Gone Girl, in anticipation of the movie being released this fall and I really loved it. So the next time I went out, I had to buy her first two novels. Sharp Objects is the very first of those novels. It finds journalist Camille Preaker struggling with a return to her hometown to cover the abductions and murders of two young girls. While there, she must face hr tumultuous relationship with her mother and her half-sister who is less than half her age. Even though parts of it are predictable, there are still twists and turns to keep things fresh and interesting. It makes you want to keep reading, to turn each page and see where the story will go next. 4.0/5.0

2. Thirteen Reasons Why (Read) : This young adult novel is a bit love-it-or-hate-it. I'm in the half that thought it was absolutely amazing and a must read for children in middle and high school-- as well as anyone who struggled during those years. It all starts when Hannah Baker commits suicide. But that's not where it ends. Hannah has sent a box of cassette tapes to a list of people, including Clay Jensen, detailing the thirteen reasons why she decided to take her own life. You will be pleading with Hannah for her to change her mind, knowing that she didn't, while facing the harsh realities that young people have to deal with every single day. Well written and heart wrenching. 4.5/5.0

3. Fed From the Blade (Partially Read) : I'm from West Virginia and hope to become a published author someday, so it is important to read the works of other writers in my area. West Virginia is also such a beautiful area with a rich culture that goes far beyond what the rest of the country sees, so I love reading other writers' views on the area. Also, one of the editors is a professor of mine and one of the most inspiring women I have ever met. It is a book of short stories, so it can be hard to sit down and read it one sitting-- that is why I've only read bits and pieces thus far. But always try to support your local authors!

4. Seventeenth Summer (Read) : I'll admit, it has been ages since I've read this. But, at one time, it was required reading for me every summer. Originally published in 1942 (!!), it follows Angie Morrow and her summer love affair with high school stud Jack Duluth. It is sweet and innocent but still very real. I think every young girl should give this book a chance. 3.5/5.0

5. The Opposite of Loneliness (Partially Read) : You may have already read something by Marina Keegan. Her story recently made the rounds on Facebook in conjunction with the release of this book, and with her story was often her final essay written for the Yale Daily News titled "The Opposite of Loneliness." It was a beautiful essay that really touched on the idea of going out into the real world and youth and what we can do with our lives. Unfortunately, Marina died in a car crash only days after graduating from Yale. Her writing was collected and put together in this book. I have only read a couple of short stories and an essay thus far, but it does seem as though she was incredibly talented and would have certainly gone far. I'm excited to read her writing.

6. Dark Places (Unread) : There isn't much I can say about this one. I haven't read it yet! But it is another mystery from Gillian Flynn, so I'm sure I will enjoy it. It is about a girl whose family was murdered-- according to her testimony, by her brother Ben. Years later she decided to use her story for a profit, only to find herself being hunted down again. I really enjoyed both Gone Girl and Sharp Objects so I have high hopes for this one.

What books are you reading this summer? What are your favorite books of all time?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM