TRUE LIFE: I'M GETTING OLD

10:54 AM



I know it sounds a little dramatic to say that I'm getting old when I only just turned 27. But as I watched the MTV Video Music Awards last night–all for Britney, all for Britney–it hit me like a freight train. This stuff isn't being marketed to me anymore. I didn't know who any of the hosts were–or if they were event hosts! Like, what happened to the days when we had a big name come out and roast the celebrities or an entertaining parody intro? Don't get me wrong, Rihanna was great, but I definitely wasn't wowed.

And, really, who were half of those performers?

It got me thinking, there are other signs of my imminent death everywhere I look. There are already technologies I don't understand! What does on fleek really mean? When people younger than me hear me say bae ironically, do they laugh and think I'm an old fogie who just killed the trend?

I was seriously offended by it all for a little bit. I mean, who is MTV to forget about the millennials, the last generation that can remember them actually playing music videos? But then, somewhere between Beyonce and Britney, I realized that it didn't matter. I haven't watched MTV for years, even when they were marketing towards my demographic. I haven't watched MTV since TRL and that crazy ass VJ who wore rags and never brushed his hair. And I'm actually kind of okay with being old and uncool–or, even better, old and somewhat slightly cool? Yeah, probably not.

Because the great part about getting older is that you stop caring so much about what other people think. You start to live for yourself and not others. You focus more on what you can do and not what people think you should do. And you finally get to be one of those old people who doesn't understand today's youth... But, hopefully, doesn't write 1200-word think pieces on how they are ruining everything.

I'm just going to back to listening to the new Britney album now, because it's amazing and I sort of miss the 90s and early 2000s.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM