THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING A HOBBY

6:30 AM

When is the last time you did something just because you wanted to? 

I find that doing something just because is becoming increasingly rare in all of our lives. We're constantly moving forward, worrying about what we need to accomplish in our careers, our relationships, our homes. Taking a day-- or even just an hour-- to do something that has no tangible reward almost makes us feel guilty.

But yesterday I did just that. I spent the entire day exploring the area around my house and taking pictures. And, let me tell you, it felt amazing. I felt completely present in the moment, no worrying about what I needed to do for work the next day or the cleaning I probably should have been doing instead. It was peaceful and relaxing and perfect.

It made me reflect on the importance of having a hobby, something that you do only because you enjoy doing it. I write, but I hope to make a career out of it. I blog, but I hope to form a connection with others through it. With photography, I know that I am not the most skilled and that I won't make any money by doing it. But I genuinely enjoy capturing the beauty of the nature that surrounds me or my gorgeous friends-- or, more often than not, my goofy cat.

Here is my favorite shot from yesterday:


Last summer, I tried to get a shot of the moon and I just couldn't do it. The picture always turned out blurry. But last night I decided to try again, not worrying about how the shot would turn out. And voila.

And, hey, isn't that a good metaphor for life? Once you stop worrying about how things are going to turn out, they usually fall into place.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM