SO WHAT IS CHROMING, ANYWAY?

7:36 AM


I have dry skin, so I am always looking for a way to make my skin look healthy and glowy by any means necessary. I've highlighted, I've strobed, I've all-over glowed and I've contoured to make those glowier bits stand out even more. But now a new trend has emerged and, boy, is it a doozy. It's called chroming and it basically requires you to use a metallic or frosted lipstick in place of a highlighter.

No, really. That's pretty much it.

If you read Pixiwoo's post on the subject, you'll realize that even though the chroming trend is interesting... It is also a bit silly. I mean, it's so rare to wear these shades as an actual lipstick anymore so it is genius of cosmetics companies like MAC to market those shades in a new way. One of the main selling points of chroming is that the product will do double duty as a lipstick and a highlighter. But, because it is so rare to wear these shades as a lipstick, will it really pull double duty in your handbag? (Answer: hopefully not.)

If you do wear these shades on your lips, I can see how this trend would be useful. Alternatively, if you are trying to save space in your makeup bag, this may be something for you to try as well. My main concern lies in the fact that this is a product make for your lips and not your skin. And while higher end products may be able to perform well on the cheeks without doing any harm to your skin, some lipsticks may clog your pores and lead to breakouts-- or worse. Also, in doing research for this post, I've found that many people have trouble blending the product and getting rid of harsh lines. There are multiple woes, here.

If you already have some of these shades, test them out. Literally, test them before applying to a large area of your face to make sure they won't cause a reaction. You may find a new use for some of your least used shades. But if you don't already own a shade like that-- a light frosty or metallic color-- I wouldn't rush out to buy one. Highlighting with a cream highlighter will give you similar, if not identical, results.

I, personally, will be giving the chroming trend a pass. What about you?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM