Why It Took Me 7 Years to Finish College

11:56 AM


Some of you may have noticed my conspicuous absence these past two months. I promise, it was for a good reason: I was finishing up my last semester of college! That's right, I graduated with my degree in Professional Writing (along with a couple of minors and focus areas). And it only took me seven years!

Seven years is actually a pretty long time. It's a lot longer than four years, especially when you have student debt piling up and family members asking you if this is the semester you are finally going to graduate. It used to leave me feeling low, like I was somehow a failure for not completing college in the 'normal' four-year timespan. But what I've come to realize-- and stay with me here, because this sounds very Hallmark-- is that life takes us all down different paths. This path was just a little longer than most. And here's why:

My first four years of college, I changed my major from Education to Criminal Justice to Communications. I enjoyed aspects of each, but what I was really worrying about was the future. Which of these majors would give me the most opportunities? The truth is, none of them would give me the opportunities I wanted. You will find opportunities in any major if you put your heart into it, work hard, and make connections.

But there were other reasons why my heart wasn't in it, and they had to do with my brain. I was starting to have migraines nearly every day and, on top of that, was having some heinous mood swings. When I felt bad, I lacked the energy and motivation to go to class. When I felt good, I felt too good to waste my time in classes I didn't enjoy; I needed to be out living life and doing something more meaningful. What I didn't know what that these were signs of Bipolar Disorder.

After those first four years, my mom got sick. It was more important to me at that time to take care of her, and I was fortunate enough to have the resources with which to do that. The possibility of losing her put things into perspective and gave me a greater sense of purpose. When she recovered, I went to the doctor myself and was given medication for my migraines and my mood disorder. I went back to school and switched my major-- one last time-- to English.

Writing was what I had always wanted to do, ever since I read a notebook full of Dorothy Parker poems in the fourth grade. I found myself surrounded by like-minded people who were creative, fresh, and inspiring. We all supported one another in our writing efforts and it felt amazing. Thinking about it now, I can still feel the surge of electricity and excitement my colleagues brought into my life. For my last three years of college, I remained on the Dean's List, became editor of the school newspaper and literary journal, was elected President of the English Club, joined the Sigma Tau Delta honor society and, most importantly, made some of the most amazing and supportive friends I could have imagined.

It took me seven years to finish college. It was a long journey, but it was worth every second. It has shaped who I am and where my life is headed-- and I'm thinking it's headed to some pretty far out places. Yeah, far out. So if you ever feel like you're falling behind, or you're not where you should be in life, remember that each of our journeys are individual. And one day you will look back on yours and realize why it took the path it did.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM