Why I'll Never Follow 'Blogging Rules'

12:24 PM


I scroll through my BlogLovin' feed at least a couple of times a day, and I always make sure to check the Popular Posts feature a few times a week also. Lately I've noticed there is one type of blog post taking over both feeds: Blogging Tips and Tricks.

These posts are incredibly helpful and I actually love reading them, but they also make me feel like a bad blogger. Some of these tips and tricks are things I'll never be able to do-- either because I don't have the time or because it just wouldn't be authentic to who I am. Blogging is a hobby for me, one I truly enjoy and would love to one day make a career (or, at least, side-career) out of. But if I'm not being authentic, what's it worth? So here are three blogging rules I'll never be able to follow and why that doesn't bother me.

Post daily. Not only do I work, I try to do creative endeavors outside of blogging on a regular basis. My creative juices are flowing all of the time and spilling out in all different directions (ew, not a good visual). There are just days where I need to do a different creative thing, or focus on work, or just take a mental health day. Posting daily is just not realistic for me, and I don't think it is required in order to be a happy and successful blogger-- though I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

Make sure your blog follows a theme. This is something I see stated pretty often: To be a successful blogger, your blog has to have a theme. Some say readers will get distracted or become uninterested by a blog that jumps from Point A to Point N and back to Point D. I can certainly see how that's true, but it's not how my mind works. I am passionate about a lot of different things. There are some things I'm passionate about that I probably don't even know of yet. And I want to share those passions, no matter what 'theme' they might fall under.

Use your social media to promote. Okay, I do this one. But I don't do it well, if I'm honest, and I definitely don't use my social media solely as a means to promote myself. If you follow my Twitter, expect some cursing and pop-culture references, lame jokes and political mini-rants. If you check out my Instagram, expect nature shots and pictures of my cat. Of course, you'll also see posts about my blog or blog-related interests, but my social media is an extension of my life, which only includes my blog.

Are there any blogging rules you don't follow? Some you think everyone should? What about in real life? Let me know!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM