Blogging Must-Haves

7:00 AM


Deciding to become a blogger can be a daunting task. There are so many blogs already out there producing amazing images and content. One of the first questions I asked myself when I decided to become a blogger was what tools I would need to do it well. The truth is, all you need is a computer and a passion to be a blogger. But there are some other tools that have made it a lot easier-- and a lot more fun-- to run this blog.

Computer. To run a blog, it is kind of a given that you need a computer and an internet connection. I use a MacBook pro for everything, and that includes blogging. The screen is bright and sharp, the battery life is still amazing, and it is really easy to use. But any computer will do-- even if you are still using one of those huge, early-2000s models. If it works, it works.

Notebooks. I love notebooks. I have them stashed in my purse, camera bag, backpack, car, and all around my house. You never know when you are going to need to write something down. I'm constantly jotting down blog post ideas, to-do lists, thoughts on products I'm trying out, photo ideas, etc. I'm pretty scatterbrained, so putting my ideas on paper keeps me from forgetting them.

Phone (& apps). Your phone can be your best friend when you are a blogger. A proper smartphone can sometimes take the place of several tools I have listed: computer, notebook, camera, and editing software, specifically. I use my iPhone 6 Plus, which is so huge it feels like I'm carrying a little tablet around. I often take pictures on the go with it, and with apps like Afterlight and VSCOcam I can edit them while I'm on the go, too. Evernote often takes the place of a notebook for me and helps keep all of my ideas well organized.

Camera. You don't need anything fancy for this. A simple point-and-shoot or even your phone can produce wonderful pictures. I personally use a Canon Rebel t3i and, if I'm being honest, the main selling point for me was that it was one of the cheapest DSLRs on the market. But occasionally I still use my iPhone for blogging photos and, before purchasing my DSLR, I use a Canon Powershot. Use what you've got and what you can afford.

Lighting. No matter what camera you use, the right lighting can make or break a shot. But here's the great thing: it doesn't have to be expensive, either! Most bloggers will tell you that natural lighting is the way to go, and it does produce some wonderful shots. If you can't use natural light, for various reasons, go to Wal-Mart and pick out a light bulb that mimics natural light. Of course, if you have the money, there are lighting systems galore that will help you create the bright and fresh shot you want.

Editing software. It's another thing that doesn't have to be expensive. Lightroom and Photoshop are great, but if you don't want to shell out the money for those there are alternatives. One of my personal favorites in Photoscape. There are free and paid pro versions, but the free version will help you make simple edits to your photos such as brightening and deepening them. There are also filters and collage options and a decent text tool. If you don't want to download, there is browser-based software like Pixlr, which is very similar to Photoshop.

The most important thing you need to start blogging is an idea and a want to do so. All of these others things are secondary to that, in my opinion.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM